2013/2014 Audition Information
All applicants (new and returning) must complete the application form.
Click here for Spanish language application form.
- Your audition dates and times will be assigned. Check the bulletin board at Sunday rehearsals for your assigned time. Auditions for current members take place at Pershing Middle School, before or after HYS rehearsal.
New Member auditions take place at Rice University on the following dates:
- April 13: violin, viola, woodwinds, brass
- April 20: violin, viola, cello, bass, woodwinds, brass
- April 27: violin, viola, cello, bass, brass, percussion
- May 4: violin, cello, bass, woodwinds, brass
- Audition times for new members are assigned upon receipt of the application and audition fee. You may indicate your preferred audition date and time of day (AM or PM) at the top of your application.
Our Orchestral Program
- Four orchestra levels open to ages five through 21
- Excellent instruction from professional conductors and sectional coaches
- An exciting collaboration of advanced and dedicated student musicians from across the greater Houston area
- Preparation for majoring in music, entering the music profession, or enjoying music as a lifelong avocation
- Performances in some of Houston's finest concert halls
- A wide range of repertoire from different periods and styles
- Highlights of the past few seasons include symphonies by Brahms, Dvorak, Mahler, Shostakovich, Sibelius and Tchaikovsky as well as music by Beethoven, Prokofiev, Strauss and Stravinsky.
HYS Participation Basics
- Attendance Policy: Attendance at all rehearsals is expected. Specific rules and guidelines regarding attendance are in the handbook.
- Tuition: Tuition for the 2013/2014 season is $950. For instruments such as harp that might not be used for every concert, tuition is pro-rated.
- Financial Aid: HYS provides financial assistance for those in need. No student is denied membership based on financial hardship. Aid is granted based on proof of need and your 2012 Federal Income Tax Return.
- School Participation: In order to participate in HYS, all members are expected to participate in their school's band or orchestra when such a program exists.
- Rehearsals take place on Sunday afternoons from 2-5 p.m., September through May.